23 September 2012

GBBO week 6 - Mary Berry is Queen of Puddings

No hesitation this week, I had to make Queen of Puddings. I have only tasted this dish once before and I remember eating it so vividly. My parents were away on holiday and my maternal grandparents, Nanny and Grandad were looking after me and my brother. I think I would have been 10 or 11 years old. We were sat in our usual places at the table, me facing the kitchen and my brother opposite me. Nanny produced a large Pyrex dish, with visible layers of golden meringue, raspberry jam and a mellow yellow custard that was definitely not Birds. The flavours exploded in my mouth, hot and sweet and soothing all at once. It stayed warm in my belly long after I had gone to bed.


I felt confident about this bake. The egg custard was the only element of the recipe I hadn't cooked before, so I started with that. A pint of full fat milk is warmed with butter, infused with lemon zest and sweetened. This is then whisked into three egg yolks, poured over breadcrumbs in pie dish and the resulting mixture is baked in a moderate oven in a bain marie until set.


The next layer is a soft fruit jam which could be any combination of berries but I used a 50/50 mix of strawberries and raspberries. I wanted that ruby red colour and the simplicity of the two flavours. I do use a sugar thermometer - unlike Brendan, I really don't find it easy to judge the set by eye. 


Stupidly I wasted time piping the meringue on as Mary's recipe directed. My dish was too wide and the meringue didn't cover the jam layer if piped so I ended up forking it across. I think I prefer it that way, my mum would always fork the top of her legendary Lemon Meringue pie. It makes for very crunchy ridges and no need for poncey piping bags.


My Queen of Puddings looked lovely and it was a big hit with one of my testers. All the flavours I remembered were there but on my adult palate the effect was tooth shattering sweetness. I think my custard split when cooking the meringue, it was watery when hot but I really enjoyed the pudding cold the next day when the custard had re-set.

My ancient oven has been limping along without a working fan recently. If the builders turn up the whole kitchen may well be demolished next week to make way for something new and shiny. I have ordered a Russell Hobbs Mini Kitchen so I am hoping to carry on baking. It has a fan oven and two hotplates. I keep telling myself it's going to be FUN, like camping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment