16 September 2012

Last summer flowers



Out of the garden before October comes; verbena bonariensis, lathyrus odoratus Flora Norton, Lord Nelson and Matucana Sweet Pea, Cardoon Cynara cardunculus, Hydrangea macrophylla, Dahlia Sam Hopkins, Lavandula angustifolia Hidcote and a couple of stems from my new David Austin roses, Gertrude Jekyll and The Generous Gardener.

Gertrude Jekyll roses are a constant in my garden. A memory of my mum who bought one for my first tiny patch and for their endless gaudy blooms which shriek summer. The Generous Gardener was a recent impulse purchase, I was beguiled by its heady old rose and myrrh scent. Subsequently I discover that the rose was named in honour of the 75th anniversary of the National Gardens Scheme. The NGS allows the public into 3,700 private gardens every year and is the single biggest donor to both the Marie Curie and Macmillan charities.

Rose beds aren't remotely fashionable, but I am not convinced by gardening trends. Mine sits beneath my daughter's ground floor bedroom window, surrounded by horrible concrete pathway.  I planted climbing roses at the back, so that they would reach around the frame of her window. I secretly hope their impossible beauty will enchant her in years to come and this will ensure the matriarchal line of rose growers is continued. But if not, they might just keep the boys at bay.





No comments:

Post a Comment