14 September 2010

Fresh walnuts from the Lonely tree


I usually loathe walnuts, little shriveled squirrel brains ruining decent coffee cake. A few years ago on a trip to the Dordogne, I discovered how delicious wet walnuts were so I was excited to find these beautiful fresh walnuts falling off the Lonely tree at school pick-up this afternoon. I discarded the outer shells and filled my cardigan pockets. What's more thrilling than free food? I confess that I don't always manage to use my foraged food and there is a very real risk that these nuts will languish in some plastic pot or other, growing fluff until they hit the compost bin. But for now I'm inspired and planning fabulous Perigordian salad; Pear, Roquefort, rocket and the crumbled nuts with a sharp lemony dressing.

The Lonely tree is a magnificent, mature walnut that stands within my daughter's school grounds, close to the two infant classrooms. It's sprawl of branches hang low, just above head height and it shelters us all from sun and rain as we wait for the straggle of children to appear at the end of the school day. 

The tree used to make me sad. Surely a refuge for those kids who didn't quite fit in? A morose soul sat on the rough tree bench, scuffing the dust in solitary social exclusion. How tragic! Another parent recently enlightened me of the true meaning of the Lonely tree. The children know they can go there if they ever find themselves without a friend at playtime, and then anyone passing will invite the "lonely" child to join their game.

No comments:

Post a Comment